1. Slice the ham slices about a 1/4 inch or less in thickness.
2. Do not trim any excess fat from the slices until after frying. Do remove the skin and bone.
3. Place lean part of ham away from hottest point of skillet.
4. DO NOT fry too fast, or over fry. Grease should not splatter. Medium to low heat is best. Cook until both sides are light brown.
Less salty Frying Method
To regulate saltiness for your taste put 1 or 2 cups of hot water in skillet with ham.
1. Simmer for about 1 to 2 minutes on each side on medium to low heat.
2. Pour off water and then fry ham slowly.
Red Eye Gravy
1. Use the juices left in the skillet after frying the ham.
2. Heat until the juices smoke. Add about three ounces of water for every three slices of ham.
3. Before liquid boils remove from heat and add to a serving bowl.
A Good “Tennessee Country Ham” like ours will make Red Eye Gravy without adding coffee.
Baking Sliced Country Ham
Pre heat oven to 325 degrees. Remove skin and bone from the ham slices. Place ham in a 15x18x2 inch roasting pan or Pyrex dish. Put as many layers of ham as you would like. Cover bottom of pan with water, approximately 1/2 to 3/4 cup. Cover with aluminum foil. Cook approximately 1 hour or until brown on both sides and tender to a fork.
This is perfect when serving a large crowd.